Manhattan, the Universe, and Everything

A single Manhattanite's diary of her life in The City, plus various odd commentary. plain_jane_jones1@yahoo.com

Sunday, November 12, 2006

A Brief Trip to America


Yes, this is actually a photo of the town I grew up in.
Saturday found me on a train to upstate Connecticut to attend a wedding of a childhood contact of mine. I'm of two minds about weddings. They're either triumphant, beautiful occasions that lift your spirits (read: awash with free-flowing alcohol), or they make you feel like shit.


This wedding was the latter. I arrived to the chapel seconds before post-time, thanks to traffic. Yes, I actually had to drive, which means that I could not drink. Seeing as how complimentary booze is one of the primary reasons people attend weddings of acquaintances, I was already in a sour mood.


I was put in an even more ill disposition when I noticed a few familiar faces from my high school days. Not only did they look stunning and oh-so blonde in their bridesmaid's dresses, but they all had rocks on their fingers. The ones in attendance sans ring were definitely coupled up and well on their way to the altar.


It was then it hit me. I am the only single person here.


I surmise that this is what life is like in The Rest Of America. Twentysomethings marry other twentysomethings. They graduate high school, get a solid education (both bachelor's and masters) from the top local university, get the best job they can in the local city, fall in love with local people, move to the suburbs (if they aren't living there already), and breed. They get jobs -- and good ones at that -- at one of a handful of large corporations with their headquarters nearby. They buy matching golden retrievers and Ford Expeditions, take annual vacations to the same hotel in the same cliched holiday spot every year, and join the P.T.A.


While, at first blush, it seems like a rather colorless existence, I couldn't seem to shake the fact that these girls I knew in high school - whom I had my first beers with, attended my first rock concerts with (on the lawn!), discussed my first clandestine hook-ups with - are nearly all married off, while I'm languishing in singleton limbo in arguably the greatest city on earth.


I began to wonder...if I had chosen to go to the local state school instead of a fancy private university on the other side of the continent, and chosen to stay within a 200-mile radius of where I spent my formative years (like most Americans do), would I have found love at 20 and be married by 25, birthing children at 29 and attending parent-teacher conferences at 35?


Tolkien may have said that not all those who wander are lost. However, it seems like us wanderers - those who uprooted ourselves from our respective Shires to experience culture shocks and personal glory (both in our careers and otherwise), and engage in all sorts of envelope-pushing adventure - may have found that Love has passed them by.


Or, it may be simply that there's just nothing for those people to do except get married. In Manhattan, when bored, we go to the Frick Collection. We join the Junior League or Zog Sports. We train for the marathon. We create fashion lines, write screenplays, stalk celebrities, take our guitars to Union Square and play Wish You Were Here or the Buckley Hallelujah to gain some under-the-table income. We dream up ways to crash the Tribeca Film Festival and the Heisman Awards Ceremony, and search for the perfect pitcher of sangria. We drink ourselves silly on cheap pinot grigio at Soho Stroll and end up purchasing $1,800 ball gowns at Ralph Lauren, only to return them two weeks later.
But we don't get married. Maybe that's our mistake, who knows.

5 Comments:

At November 12, 2006 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can do things like join a junior league, join a sports league, train for a marathon, write a screenplay, or play street music in pretty much any city in America, not just Manhattan.

 
At November 13, 2006 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe you aren't married because you sit around writing about your sad life and reviewing the Bachelor. Wow! Sounds exciting- wished I lived in Manahattan. I am soooooooo jealous. We don't have marathons or geeky clubs to join in the suburbs. Whatever. Get over yourself. I am one of those wooman who got my bachelors & Master's - met a successful, gorgeous buy (who was not local) and got married. We moved out of state- to the suburbs and I am happily raising my son. We go out all the time- with and without our son. We go on great vacations- why is it cliche to go to Aruba? It's mroe cliche to live in Manhattan and rip on people in the suburbs who have the life you secretly wish you had. Honey- it's not because you moved, it's not because you live in the city- it's because you are a freak. Have a great day!!

 
At November 13, 2006 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing is, there are many ways to live a life. You have to choose the one that is best for you. And no matter which direction you go, there is always the road not taken and along with it, regrets. You are not a freak and these folks in the suburbs are not boring nothings, they've just chosen a different path. And no one has a storybook life like the last poster would have you believe. Personally, I'd take Manhattan, but that's just me.

 
At November 14, 2006 8:05 AM, Blogger Plain Jane Jones said...

Personally, I'd rather be a freak than a boring nothing. But there are freaks in the 'burbs and boring nothings in the cities, too, and I have no problem with the 'burbs -they're just the kind of place that's nice to visit on occasion, but not anywhere I'd like to live or raise any of my progeny. I find the 'burbs to be rather pleasant in the way that Saltines are pleasant. It's hard to say terribly negative things about either, but neither are particularly captivating or complex.

I was just making the comment that in the 'burbs (and probably in most of small and mid-sized American cities), it's common to see people marrying in their early to mid-20s, and was conjecturing that this might be because there's not as much to do there, or, if there is, people choose not to take advantage; thus they couple up earlier.

 
At November 14, 2006 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reason your single is supply and demand. Your essentially a grain of sand and NYC is the beach. There is just not enough demand to cover that kind of supply.

There are plenty of gorgeous women in that city to choose from, so any man that meets your criteria can take his pick. He doesn't have to put up with a list of your criteria or deal with any woman who is so desperately afraid of never marrying that she puts far too much pressure on every date, b/c there are plenty of granules of sand at the beach. As soon as the current one annoys him or pressures him, he can throw it away and pick up another one just like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home