Manhattan, the Universe, and Everything

A single Manhattanite's diary of her life in The City, plus various odd commentary. plain_jane_jones1@yahoo.com

Thursday, November 02, 2006

From The Mailbag

Some comments (and emails) warrant greater visibility, without being relegated to the "Comments" section. So here goes.
  • Sue said (about The Theorem): [D]oesn't your theorem rest on the assumption that the relevant calculation is purely financial? It seems to me that there are other risks involved in infidelity (i.e., public display of moral failure, kids living in split homes and the consequent emotional problems, etc.). How do those other potential risks work into the calculation?

Dollars are the easiest to quantify. You can add other non-monetary risks to the equation by either placing a dollar value to them, or just scrapping dollars as a measuring stick altogether and measure Dnp in "utils" or some generic economic unit of measurement.

  • Lee F. writes: From Jane's description of how "relationship guy" treats her, he's clearly operating under the delusion that there is something beneath Jane's exterior, something worth having a meaningful connection with, something that runs deeper than fashion, money, and superficialities. What happens when he discovers that there isn't?

Maybe that's what he's looking for. I see many bright men with ditzy blonde dingbats who can't speak 5 minutes without bringing up celebrity gossip or their latest trip to Bloomingdale's. If these blonde dingbats can get - and keep - their men, then I won't have a problem either.

  • Suzy writes: I think your math is off. Its not "Racist" + "Superficial" = "Slut" but rather "Racist" + "Superficial" + "Slut" = you.

Calling Suzy - state how, in my blog, I have shown myself to make derogatory comments to protected classes of citizens, or enumerated my sexual conquests. Also, can you at least find a more creative way to make fun of me than to call me a slut? You essentially proved the point I was trying to make in my posts by doing so.

  • Huskerhornfan writes: To those who have at least some working knowledge of the game of baseball and its history, this is not only a good series. It's a great one. Both teams are from awesome baseball towns. While there is no cubs-type curse, one team came from out of nowhere and hasn't been competitive since the late eighties.

Unfortunately it got the lowest ratings out of any World Series in history. Which is sad, because you're probably right that it should have been "great".

  • Anindi writes: Ur blog is a much better read than that Noer can ever aspire to be..it's a pity that in this day and age he could get away with a column like this...Anyways keep the good work up!!

Why, thank you. I do hope you're still reading.

  • Bowerybob writes (about internet dating): the key (as with everything) is to learn to read the ads. there are pearls among the shit, and if you (I, a guy) respond in kind (tone; manner; vocab) to those select few, you (I) actually do have a chance to meet a few good (wo)men.

Thanks for the advice. I guess the best thing about internet dating is you can somehow gauge the intelligence of a person by their profile. If a girl drops lines like "Princess looking for her prince!" or lists her interests as "Brunch" and "Shopping", that can be quite telling.

  • Matt Rivera writes: I think I'm starting to love you, Plain Jane. Please keep writing.

My first e-stalker; what a landmark.

  • Anonymous writes: A lot of people who behave this way (looking down on most of the country) actually grew up in middle-class or upper-middle-class suburbs, even though they live to bash the suburbs.

Duh. If you live somewhere and have a negative experience there, you tend not to say terribly kind things about such a place. It shouldn't surprise anyone that people who bash the suburbs have actually lived there.

Last, but not least, my personal favorite

  • J. writes: People hate you, and with good reason. You look down your nose at everyone different than you and then turn around and pretend to embrace people from all different backgrounds. You make me sick, and judging by message boards talking about your shitty little blog, I'm not alone.

If you think this is a "shitty little blog", do what I do when I encounter crap, and don't read it. When I come across a shitty blog, I browse to a different website that's more entertaining. Besides, if my shitty little blog has inspired message board conversations and what, like, 5 posts from you, then you can't seem to get enough of it, eh?

3 Comments:

At November 07, 2006 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane,

I think the following will answer why I called you a slut. Now are you stupid or just forgetful?

You ask

"state how, in my blog, I have ... enumerated my sexual conquests."

here you go:

“The Almost-Boyfriend: Shelf Life - 3 months. Fizzled out after his passivity (and small penis) made dating him a shrug of the shoulders... I kept him around that long because he performed oral sex like a champ”

“After 2 dates (the latter of which was the kind that ends the next morning)”

“. After a few gin and tonics too many, I end up with Rich's tongue in my mouth.”

“I figured he'd be the ideal no-strings-attached hookup because he was obscenely good-looking, younger than me, and leaving the country soon (i.e. I wouldn't have to worry about acting like a slut, because I'd never see him again)”

That, my friend is why you are a slut. The truth hurts.

 
At November 08, 2006 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Plain Jane, you really got called out on that one. Can't wait to see your response.

 
At November 08, 2006 3:53 PM, Blogger Plain Jane Jones said...

Suzy, point taken. I thought your "slut" accusation was motivated by another one of my posts, not this one. If you called me a "slut" in response to the post you quoted, then it would make more sense.

However, you know I had sexual intercourse with all these individuals because...? Maybe I'm being forgetful, stupid or both, but I don't believe I explicitly said "I had sex with this individual". Maybe I'm wrong, though, so please help me out.

Anyhow, you say "that, my friend, is why you are a slut. The truth hurts." Are you inferring that it's bad to be a slut? I know YOU are using that term as derogatory towards me because you don't like me very much, but is a "slut" really a bad thing for an individual of either gender to be, assuming that such individual is making an informed, conscious and willful decision to be a "slut"?

I find calling a girl a "slut" as the equivalent of calling a man a "fag" - an all-purpose insult that is used well beyond its literal definition. When used in the non-literal sense, it's rather unimaginative and when it's used in the literal sense, it's really not an insult, unless we're back in high school where Your Reputation matters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home