Manhattan, the Universe, and Everything

A single Manhattanite's diary of her life in The City, plus various odd commentary. plain_jane_jones1@yahoo.com

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Ladies, if you're ever in the South, don't forget to dress up.

MLK weekend found me in Houston, TX. Not exactly antebellum South Carolina, but the differences between my fair city and the ferocious jungle that lies below the Mason-Dixon line became quickly apparent upon my first night there.

My dinner companions, I was told, were two married couples around my age, as well as two single men that I had never met. In New York, this would mean that I would don my Adriano Goldschmied jeans and a sweater-top, perhaps from Ann Taylor. Footwear? Casual boots. Maybe pearl earrings, but definitely not "dress to impress". Glasses over contacts, and makeup would even be questionable.

In Houston, however, this meant something different. "These girls are gorgeous and will probably dress up", my friend warned, "so you should probably borrow one of my dresses." I had planned on wearing the aforementioned jeans and sweater top with minimal makeup, but a night of dress-up never hurt anyone, so I bit.

I am so glad I did. The two wives were a pair of blondes who were easily an 8.5 (out of 10) on their worst days, dressed impeccably in cocktail dresses that could easily pass for black tie-appropriate (with one of them being a delightfully creative piece designed in the 80s and snagged in a boutique on the LES when its wearer lived in New York), yet they attracted no attention other than the most positive.

Had I dressed like I ordinarily would (i.e. in New York attire), I would have stood out like the ugly duckling amid a pair of swans wearing chandelier earrings, with every strand of their flaxen hair (the kind that enchants the Japanese) perfectly in place. While wearing my friend's cocktail dress didn't transform this gawkish, brown-haired Manhattanite into Angelina Jolie, it did save my self esteem for the night.

So, why, in NYC, a veritable fashion epicenter, does no one care if you look like shit? You can walk down the street looking like a million bucks or a soiled, crumpled, smelly dollar bill, and only random human beings will notice. Sure, you may turn a few more heads if you made the effort, but you never run into Anyone You Know here. In Houston, the social scene is more incestuous - all the young professionals know of one another (usually from school), so the school-clique mentality of dress-up-you-never-know-who-is-noticing is more prevalent.

There's a freedom in being able to walk down the street in orange sweat pants, Uggs, and a grey sweater emblazoned with the Boston Red Sox 2004 World Champions logo. Or not worrying about regular manicures, or whether your eyebrows are adequately plucked. Sure, playing pretty is fun, but sometimes ugly is much more convenient.

Shameless Plug Time: The girls were both lovely dinner companions. They are entrepreneurs who have their own lingerie label, Passport Panties. Do visit the website. There's a delightfully Elle Woods-inspired intro (including the three business partners disembarking off a jet entitled "Air Force Blonde"), plus information on where in the U.S. their merchandise is sold. In New York, Passport Panties can be found at Henri Bendel and the Madison Avenue Searle, among other places.

7 Comments:

At January 17, 2007 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NYC is big and it has lots of different scenes. I think it's like that (very important how you dress, and you have to always be maincured and pedicured)if you work in something like fashion PR, but not like that in other fields or social scenes.

 
At January 18, 2007 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you that PR people are more manicured and pedicured in general, but to go off on a tangent/observation... even fashion people in NYC (designers, editors, especially) almost never look ultra-pulled together or polished in the same way as these southern girls. If you ever walk through the halls of Vogue or Harper's Bazaar, what you'll see are jeans, some sort of peasant top and ballet flats. Going out, it's pretty much what Jane mentioned (throw on some boots and change the top). Southern women have this need to make themselves perfect from top to bottom. It's really quite extraordinary. I met this girl from Dallas yesterday (for work) and every square inch of her was perfect (although when I say "perfect" I'm not saying that's MY idea of good style, just that she was impeccable and not a hair out of place).

 
At January 18, 2007 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm from Washington, DC and it's interesting how DC is a mix of Southern and Northern styles. Depending on what circles you run in, you'll run into either Northeastern types who moved here after growing up in and attending college in NYC or Boston or pearl-wearing Southern belles.

 
At January 18, 2007 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

New York was a step up in the fashion world, coming from the Northwest, where standard daily uniform consists of jeans, a North Face fleece, and flip flops. I love that in NY I can dress up, without anyone questioning what the occassion is. And, that my local deli guy has seen me in my pajamas mid-afternoon and pre-shower.

 
At January 28, 2007 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like how you always claim to not be interested in fashion, that you're a "plain jane" and down to earth, yet you namedrop designers and analyze clothing to fucking death. You're trying to be the best of both worlds and it's not working, you useless cunt.

 
At January 31, 2007 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be fair, I don't think being "down to earth" and being interested in (or aware of) fashion are two mutually exclusive things. For someone who is clearly fascinated by human behavior/habits/sociology/what have you like Jane is, it would be impossible not to consider fashion and what people are wearing. Fashion is a pretty obvious statement of who we are and what we want to present to the world. Even people who shun fashion and want to be perceived as caring nothing for fashion convey that by what they wear.

 
At February 01, 2007 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's fair, anonymous, regarding the down to earth and interested in fashion are not exclusive.

But being not interested in fashion and being interested in fashion are pretty fucking exclusive in my eyes. And plain jane has mentioned she's not into fashion plenty of times, but then remarks on what everyone else is wearing right down to the designer and clearly puts in a lot of thought into what she wears.

In other words, she's a stupid whore who wants all the advantages of being fashion conscious (looking good, appearing urbane, etc) but none of the disadvantages (appearing shallow and materialistic, etc).

As a female who is truly not interested in fashion, I would not be able to recount what other people were wearing. If I even managed to remember anything, my descriptions would be as vague as a "red dress" or a "white shirt". So when plain jane goes on to describe the designer, the cut, the fabric, and so on, my unplucked eyebrows can't help but raise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home